Thursday, October 11, 2007

Question and Answer with Ally

When did you start cooking? I started cooking when I was about 5-6. I used to make little sandwiches for the attendees of my tea parties especially my special guests (my brothers). I loved to be in the kitchen to cook with my mother whenever she would allow me to join in. When I was 10 my mother took night classes, and that is where I learned many techniques and recipes by trial and error.

Who inspires you? My mother, father, and grandfather (Jiddy) are my cooking inspirations. Growing up, my mother's lasagna was famous in the neighborhood. She was always freezing portions of it and giving it away to our neighbors. My father and my grandfather have brought an ethnic influence and a grilling expertise into my life.

If you could have lessons from one chef, who would it be? I grew up in New Orleans, and I love the food. With his experience and knowledge of many types of cuisine, I would choose Emeril.

Favorite thing to cook/bake? I love to cook/bake it all. However, I do not eat many baked goods. I just don't have a sweet tooth. When I do bake, I give the goodies away.
I will say that the one thing my friends and family request over and over are empanadas. I really love making them because they are so versatile. With the right fillings, they can please anyone!

Whats one fear you have in the kitchen? Over cooking a prime cut of meat, what a waste!


Whats one fear you had in the kitchen but have overcame? Making a gumbo roux. It took lots of practice and a whole lot of patience.

No comments: